Benign arrhythmia, acidic stomach. Burps cause an episode of arrhythmia. Are they connected?

I have benign arrhythmia. I also have a very "acidy" stomach and am prone to have gas. Not heartburn problems, just mostly lots of big burps. When I'm having an episode of gas I seem to have episodes of arrhythmia. Is there any connection between acid/gas problems and arrhythmia.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

Frequent burping can be
1) Supradiaphragmatic where one just brings out swallowed air and this the commonest cause of belching
2) Infradiaphragmatic where there is expulsion of gastric contents, this is less common than supradiaphragmatic and is usually due to an incompetent oesophagogastric junction or a reduced gastric compliance.
Belching may be associated with acid reflux which causes esophageal mucosal damage. severe oesophageal mucosal damage can stimulate vagus nerve .As vagus nerve also supplies the heart severe reflux may precipitate an arrhythmia . However the reflux more commonly makes the already existing arrhythmia more apparent. Further some of the drugs used to prevent arrhythmia can themselves cause acidity.

Regards Dr XXXXXXX