Bells palsy, minor trauma, medication, platelet function, bleeding, bruises

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...I have bruise spots on the sides of my torso which appeared after I got Bells palsy and don't know if it's related
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later

These spots on your side are not likely related to your Bell's Palsy.

Bell's Palsy is typically triggered by a stress response or viral infection which leads to inflammation and diminished function of nerves which affect muscles in the face. These muscles include those which open and close the eyes and the mouth and may be associated with diminished sensation. Typically most patients recover with minimal residual deficits in their nervous system.

As for the bruising on your side, this is likely related to minor trauma - especially if it is localized to a small area and is not generalized. Other things which may contribute to bruising include medications which affect platelet function or bleeding such as aspirin or ibuprofen or anti-inflammatory medications. I would expect this area of small bruising to resolve over the next 7 to 10 days. If the area expands in size or occurs elsewhere in your body then you may need to discuss this with your physician who will be able to examine you and order blood tests if he or she feels that is appropriate.

I hope I have adequately addressed your concern. I am available for your followups.