Belladonna, phenobarbitol, nicotine patches, smoking cessation

My sister went through a program that used belladonna, phenobarbitol, and something else to quit smoking. It was wonderfully successful. It was at a place in tampa, florida. Do you know anything about this treatment?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 2 hours later

Any smoking cessation program to be successful, has to counter the effects of nicotine (a cholinergic compound - of tobacco that produces the effects of smoking) so that the withdrawal symptoms can be countered.

Anticholinergic drugs like belladona and phenobarbital combination (Donnatal) can be useful as a combination medication, to help people stop smoking, as it blocks the withdrawal symptoms of nicotine, after cessation of smoking completely. Hence it appears to work successfully for guys interested in smoking cessation.

But since there is a possibility of addiction to phenobarbital component in this therapy, it is not widely accepted and is not used more commonly for cessation of smoking.

For your information, there are additional options of nicotine supplementation, like a nicotine patch or a nicotine chewing gum, which have a efficacy of 100% in helping patients quit smoking.

You might consult your physician for additional information about such alternative treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them as well.