Believing post-nasal drip causing abdominal bloating. What to do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
I believe that my post-nasal drip is causing abdominal/stomach bloating due to mucus. I believe this is due to congestion from allergic/no allergic rhinitis, not GERD. What can I do?
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with mentioned.
Do you have difficulty in breathing/ chest pain/ cough with sputum/ fever?
Do you have running nose/ sore throat?
Do you have acidic belching/ abdominal discomfort/ retrosternal burning pain/ abdominal bloating after taking meals?
Are you a smoker and an alcoholic?

Post nasal drip is due to rhinitis, sinusitis, gastro-esophageal reflux disease and esophageal motility disorders.
Simultaneous presence of bloating and post nasal drip could be a feature of decreased gastrointestinal motility with dyspepsia and associated gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Dyspepsia is a collection of symptoms consisting of acidic belching, abdominal heaviness and bloating, gargling sound , excessive flatulence.
Dyspepsia could be due to peptic ulcer disease, bile reflux, and functional in nature.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and ENT surgeon and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, and chest x XXXXXXX blood sugar fasting and postprandial, serum electrolytes,and thyroid profile on preliminary basis.
In my personal opinion, mucus due to post nasal drip can't cause bloating but vice versa is true.

You should also go for endoscopy along with biopsy and urea breathe test for H. Pylori.
If Urea breathe test is found to be positive then you have to take complete eradication therapy for H. Pylori bacteria.

Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
Meanwhile, you should also take complete antibiotic therapy, decongestants and antipyretics, proton pump inhibitors along with prokinetics.
You should also perform gargles three times in a day; a glass of lukewarm water with a pinch of salt.
Avoid cold drinks, oily food and yogurt and juices.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava