Belching, wind, acidity after eating certain foods, lump in throat. Should I get myself scoped?

Excellent

Question
i have read on the internet that people have GERD and a hiatus hernia should be scoped every three years? and i do worry about barrettes or infact cancer, my first endoscope 4 years and six months showed no inflammation or gastric, since then i have been taking 15 mg of zoton once a day, (but my GP today has increased to another one at night time, the current symptoms i have is belching, wind, sometimes acid but only when i eat certain foods, sometimes a lump sensation in my throat, there is no burning or pain etc,

im just worried that if i don't get scooped again or its not checked on now or later it could develop into barrettes? and then it could be to late??, so is prevention not better? just incase?

i have been to my go today he said scope is not warranted cause im not displaying any alerting symptoms

anyone advise?
thanks
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in GERD

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 6 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
I dont think you need an endoscopy right now. Its extremely unlikely you'll develop Barrett's. Even if you do, it is again extremely unlikely that you develop cancer. So I would agree with your physician that you dont need an endoscopy right now.
It is currently recommended that people >50 years of age with severe symptoms and who have been taking antacids for a long time, should be screened once with endoscopy. If the screen is negative, then it does not need to be repeated.
Barrett's is an uncommon complication and occurs is an exceedingly small percentage of cases. In people who develop Barrett's as well, adenocarcinoma is extremely uncommon ( occurs in only 0.3%)
So endoscopy only once in 3 years is required for people with Barrett's.
I dont think we need to worry here.
Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Follow-up: Belching, wind, acidity after eating certain foods, lump in throat. Should I get myself scoped? 9 hours later
hi when you say...If the screen is negative, then it does not need to be repeated.

mine was neg 5 years ago but should i not be regular checked?? or not? because the gut lining can change over time is this correct?

thanks

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 4 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
I dont think you need to be checked again. While the gut lining can change over a period of time, it changes only when it is subjected to continuous insult ( in this case, acid). That is why Barrett's is commonly seen in people with long standing, untreated GERD. Since you're already receiving treatment, I dont think its going to change for the worse. An endoscopy should be considered after you're 50 years old if you still continue to need antacids at that point in time.
Hope this helps. I'll be happy to address any more concerns