Behaviors include profound jealousy, emotional insecutiry, paranoia and helplessness. Alcoholism in family. Due to alcohol?

I have a friend with Meniere's Disease who also drinks 10-12oz of wine every night. Is it true that many alcoholics have Meniere's Disease ? And, can this interaction be harmful ? In additiion, she drinks alone, claims she only drinks two glasses of wine each night. Isolates spouse from family. Behaviors include profound jealousy, emotional insecutiry, paranoia, helplessness, out bursts of crying, will not interact or speak at family functions, or allow spouse to visit with family alone, among other strange behavior, She has a family of alcoholism, both parents drank alcoholically until they died - into their 80s..
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Omer 1 hour later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query

I am really sorry to hear about your friend

As you have said that Your friend is a known case of menieres disease , alcohol addiction , having social cut off , obsession , paranoia , crying episodes , and have a strong alcholic family history

YES , you are right , menieres disease has a STRONG relation ship with alcohol , and it is said if you dont want to take any medicine for menieres disease , than just avoid alcohol

Alcohol causes more episodes of tinnitus in ear , loss of hearing , more episodes of nausea and headache

Alcohol causes more precipitation in the inner ear and hence the patient is prone to have more , severe and long duration of menieres disease attacks

I would recommend to stop alcohol , other wise she will have permanent hearing loss , that would be a terrible way to live , as alcohol is famous for causing loss of hearing both ears

Alcoholic family do exists , and it is said that alcohol DOES have a genetic relation , meaning alcohol causes your liver , mood , and thinking process of brain to become permanently dependent on it , other wise the patient gets a feeling of dying with out it

The symptoms of Depression are often seen in menieres disease , these include
1. social cutoff
2. obsession to some one close/ jealousy
3. severe mood swing , meaning some time happy and some time crying but regularly

Patients with menieres disease do have severe depression as well , and it is said that if you treat the depression the meniere symptoms reduces.

Your friend is in a VICIOUS cycle of alcohol withdrawal syndrome , which includes , restless XXXXXXX , irritability , difficult to concetrate on one thing , social cut off , crying episodes

Your friend drinks to over come these problems , but once the alcohol effect disappears , there is more depression , and the patient drinks more , and hence a vicious cycle starts

A very close existence of a disease that do occurs wiith meniere is HYPOTHYROIDISM , which causes all the symptoms of depression

I would strongly suggest to take your friend to alcohol addiction center with psychiatric counselling , other wise your friend is destroying her life and decreasing the life span

I hope this helps

Feel free to ask any further questions