Began having urethra itching, white discharge from the penis. On flagyl and doxycycline. Additional Rx to cover infection?

Took vacation in Thailand about 6 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I began having urethra itching and about 7 days ago a very very small amount of clear / sometimes white discharge from the penis. No other associated symptoms. Small amount of discharge on my underwear and a small amount of visible discharge in the mornings.

I gained access to 7 day cycle of Flagyl (500mg/twice day) and Doxycycline (100mg/twice day). I’ve started today on a 7 day cycle of both meds.

I'm in a very isolated area (middle east / combat zone) and unable to see a doctor for several weeks at least.

Any additional Rx to add to cover other infections incase this isn’t Trich or Chlamydia?

Any helpful thoughts are much appreciated due to my very isolated location.

Thank you...
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 12 hours later
Your symptoms pertain to non gonococcal urethritis
The causative agents could range from chlymidia to mycoplasma to tricomonas.
You are taking the right drugs at present.
I suggest you continue doxy for 14 days and flagyl for 14 days as an extended regimen.
However you also could add azithromycin 1gm as a single dose which has an additional benefit in case if you are resistant to doxy.
But as you have only a mild discharge and not dysuria ie difficulty in passing urine I believe that you have a mild infection only
Pl do urine routine exam at the end of your treatment.
If it shows no pus cells or upto 5 puscells you may presume that you have recovered fully
Hope I made myself clear
Follow-up: Began having urethra itching, white discharge from the penis. On flagyl and doxycycline. Additional Rx to cover infection? 4 hours later
Sir, thank you very much! Your guidance is valuable and I am taking a single dose of Azithromycin (1 gm) in addition to your 14 day extended regimen.

Thank you for supporting the war effort :)
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 24 minutes later
Good day