Before and during the periods get acidity trouble because of which a foul smell emanates from mouth. Advise?

Hi doctor, each mont, a few days before my menses and during the periods i get acidity trouble and because of which a foul smell emanates from my mouth. this was not the case before and has started only since few months. please help.
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later

Having some amount of gastritis could be part of the premenstrual symptoms in some people. Since you have developed it recently, it is perhaps due to some constitutional changes and is in no way related to your past treatment.

I would suggest some simple measures to get over the problem. If you do not find any improvement, you may consult a gastroenterologist for further evaluation.

Please avoid fried foods, spicy and oily items and heavy food for a week before the onset of your period. Take plenty of water up to 2-3 liters per day prior to and during your cycle. You may use honey and lemon in lukewarm water early in the morning. Add more fresh fruit and fresh vegetables like greens to your diet. You may take cold milk to relieve heart burn.

You may add an antacid and digestive pills if you find the acidity troubling. Take your diet at frequent regular intervals and in small portions to help easy digestion as well as avoiding long spells of high acid production. Also, exclude any dental problems as cause of your condition. Always use a mouthwash after brushing. The solution to your problem lies in facilitating easy digestion and avoiding excess acid production around the menstrual phase.

Avoid stress and do some meditation along with some daily exercise as this helps to activate your system. Please remember, this is only temporary and correctable easily.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.