Been to chiropractor for neck adjustment. Did some disc stuff with neck. What can it be?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
Saw a chiropractor today for a neck adjustment. She did a few x rays of whole spine and side views . Some disc stuff with neck but nothing she can't work on chiro wise.
My question is she is a dr. A chiropractor. Would she have been able to see of there were anything abnormal in my X-ray? Not disc wise but my bones or surrounding tissue? Just curious! I am very healthy but wanted to make sure nothing was missed.
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for posting your query.

I agree that a chiropractor is not as good as a radiologist/neuro specialist in interpreting spine X-rays, but it is not very difficult to learn the radiologic anatomy of the spine region. So, if the chiropractor said the X-rays are normal, then probably it is normal.

However, if your symptoms persist, you may get an MRI of spine done, as it is more sensitive and specific than X-rays.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: Been to chiropractor for neck adjustment. Did some disc stuff with neck. What can it be? 11 minutes later
Thank you! I actually have no symptoms. But carry my very big 15 month old around so was in need of a good adjustment! I just wanted to make sure if there was anything weird she would have seen it!

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 38 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.
It is unlikely that she would have missed something abnormal in the X-ray.
As of now, there is no need of MRI.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Been to chiropractor for neck adjustment. Did some disc stuff with neck. What can it be? 2 days later
Thank you, she saw none spurs on my neck and very mild disc deg in a couple on neck. Do none spurs look different then a tumor or bone cancer?

Thank you for getting back.

Yes, bone spurs look different from a bone tumor or cancer. So, there is no need to worry.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)