Been sick. Started with fatigue and blurred vision. Have diarrhea and weak muscles. Test results showed polyp on gallbladder and cyst in kidney

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
I have been sick for three months. My symptoms started with fatigue and blurred vision. Then went into diarrhea 15 times a day for a week. They treated me for possible giardia but didn't work. I have loss of appetite. I've lost 17lbs. I have muscle weakness, blurred vision, fatigue, shakiness, motor function issues and a low grade fever that has come and go daily for three months. Labs say I'm fine. They did find non alcoholic fatty liver and a polyp on my gallbladder and a small cyst on my kidney. I've had a catscan and ultrasound on stomach. At the beginning of this I had an MRI done on my head. I'm waiting for results on an endoscopy and colonoscopy at this point. I'm so scared that whatever I have is going to kill me :( I've considered gluten intolerance maybe but it came on out of nowhere. Please help.
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should seek neurologist opinion.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

I think you need proper clinical examination by neurologist
There may be some neurological causes and it should be ruled out,
I presume that routine tests(routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,RFT,LIpid profile) has been done and you are waiting for special investigations.
These investigations are must in your case and it will help in your diagnosis.

Findings of ultrasound are non significant.Fatty liver is reversible state and you should check your lipid profile.Some drugs may be required and it can be corrected by exercise and diet control.No need to worry about polyp and small cyst in kidney, follow up ultrasound is helpful at intervals.

Most important in your case is colonoscopy results.It will exclude the various causes.
You shouldn't be so worried,you will be alright.

Get well soon.
Hope i have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Been sick. Started with fatigue and blurred vision. Have diarrhea and weak muscles. Test results showed polyp on gallbladder and cyst in kidney 1 hour later
Thank you so much for your answer Dr. XXXXXXX I also should mention that ive had some night sweats and during the week i had continual diarrhea I also had sever hyoerhydrosis of hands and feet that lasted a little over a week. Im going to see my Dr this week who thinks Im fine. Shall I ask him to test for something specific other then a referral to a nuerologist? Was thinking maybe its Lyme Disease (no rash though), West Nile. Maybe Multiple Sclerosis? Today my fever hit 100 degrees. Obviously my body has been fighting something fr the last three months. o

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hyperhydrosis may be due to hormonal changes.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

You need proper history taking and clinical examination by neurologist.
Your main problem is related to neurological symptoms.
After clinical examination, Lumbar puncture may be needed.
Multiple sclerosis is basically a clinical diagnosis. MRI Brain can also diagnose the condition. It has been already done in your case and I presume it is normal so you didn't mentioned.
Lyme disease and west nile fever is unlikely, but it should be excluded by physician after history, investigation and clinical examination. You don't have typical symptoms of these diseases.

Hyperhydrosis may be due to certain hormonal changes.If it is persistent, you should contact your doctor.

Get well soon.
Hope i have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Been sick. Started with fatigue and blurred vision. Have diarrhea and weak muscles. Test results showed polyp on gallbladder and cyst in kidney 6 hours later
Out of curiosity so i can talk to my doctor more thoroughly, what nueroligical issues do you think i may be having? Thank you so much for your response .

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
List of neurological conditions given below

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

I would think in terms of the following
1. Chronic meningitis (?viral cause)
2. Acute stress reaaction
3. Depression
4. Cryptococcosis
5. Mononucleosis
6. Sleep deprivation
7. Tuberculosis
8. Electrolyte imbalance

Get well soon.
Hope i have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Been sick. Started with fatigue and blurred vision. Have diarrhea and weak muscles. Test results showed polyp on gallbladder and cyst in kidney 5 hours later
One last quick question.
Just looked in my throat and left side is swollen with a yellow/white spot and another one in the very back. My husband decided to press on my sinuses under my eyes and the left side really hurts horribly when he pressed on it. Any chance a sinus infection could cause fatigue, weakness, loss of appetite and blurred vision?? I read it can cause intestinal issues too just now because of drainage and I've had diarrhea. I dont have any mucus from nose but I have had lots of drainage in throat that I swallow. I thought you had to have mucous from nose and be really stuffed up to be a sinus infection?

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
You don't have any sinus problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query

You don’t have any sinus problem.
Its symptoms include headache,nasal blockage,fever etc.Generally it is also associated with allergy.
It is normal to feel pain on pressing under the eyes.
X-ray PNS or CT Scan of PNS is done for confirmation.
Sinus problem is not related to you in any way.
Get well soon.

Hope i have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX