Been on ortho-tri cyclen, minocycline. Had unprotected sex. Worry about pregnancy?

Hi, I am a 17 year old female and I've been on ortho-tri cyclen since XXXXXXX I've also been on minocycline for years, take one daily every day. I will be honest and say I don't take my birth control at the same time every morning...but I try. I do take it every morning though. I am sexually active but I'm usually very careful about it and use backups like a condom. But the other night my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex (bad idea I know..heat of the moment) and he pulled out but he said he felt he had some pre-cum. Should I be worried since my birth controls effectiveness is lowered due to my antibiotics?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 49 minutes later

I can understand your concern for pregnancy, but chances of pregnancy are less likely in your case, due to the following reasons:

1)     Precum contains little sperms which can cause pregnancy.

2)     If you are taking birth control pills and antibiotics as well, although antibiotics decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills but taking birth control pills provides some protection rather than not taking the pills at all.

3)     Pregnancy occurs only during the time of ovulation. Ovulation is the release of a single, mature egg from a follicle that developed in the ovary and occurs on day 14 of a menstrual cycle. So your pregnancy status depends on when did you have intercourse.

If you had intercourse recently, then you can take post coital pills provided you had intercourse 3-5 days prior because post coital pills are not effective after 5 days of unprotected intercourse. If the act of intercourse was older then although chances of pregnancy are negligible you should wait for your periods. If you miss them then get your pregnancy status checked.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.