Been on neurocysticercosis treatment. Now have spots on retina. Antoxyl or antoxid better? Damage eyes?

Question
i have been neurocystocorsis treatment since july 2011.
treatment now is levipil 500 mg twice with frisium 5mg and storvas 10mg.
No seizures in last 6 months. I have been noticing while working on laptop one black spot. as per neuro advice showed to eye surgeon who advised oct test as eyesurgeon noticed some spots on retina. I have done the test .
eye surgeon has advised antoxyl or antoxid once again and catobell eye drops.

please advise any adverse effects and which medicine is better antoxyl or antoxid. i hope there would be no damage to my eyes
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You have provided me with good information - You have been diagnosed with Neurocystercosis and undergoing treatment for it.

You have observed black spots or floaters in your retina; Vit C and other anitoxidants like those prescribed to you are useful in preventing these spots.

Antoxyl and Antoxid are both antioxidants containing beta carotene, zinc sulphate, manganese, etc. These are given for Vitamin A and E deficiencies, and hence do not cause any side effects. I do not find any major difference between both these eye drops as far as effectiveness is concerned. You could use either of them.

In addition, consuming plenty of fruits and vegetables in your diet and good stress management will help you in faster improvement of your problem.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Been on neurocysticercosis treatment. Now have spots on retina. Antoxyl or antoxid better? Damage eyes? 26 minutes later
will antoxid or antoxyl react with levipil or frazium in any way

Answered by Dr. Radhika 15 hours later
Thanks for the follow up,
There seems to be no interaction between Levipil and Frisium with Antoxid or Antoxyl.

Levipil interacts with the drugs like carbamazepine, fosphenytoin and fosphenytoin sodium.

Whereas Frisium shows interaction with alcohol, anesthetics (e.g., halothane), antipsychotics (e.g., haloperidol), carbamazepine, clozapine, fluconazole, lithium, muscle relaxants (e.g., methocarbamol), narcotic analgesics (e.g., codeine, morphine), phenobarbital and phenytoin.