Been on losartan. Changing insurance plans. Prescription has lapsed. Can I stop the medication?

Question
I've been on losartan 12.5 for 2 years -has worked well. I'm changing insurance programs. My prescription has lapsed . So don't have anymore maybe for two weeks . Only been 2 days - can I just stop like this ???
Email is. YYYY@YYYY
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

NO
Medicine for blood pressures should not be stopped...
Over the next days, the pressure is likely to shoot up again

You are taking only one drug - an Angiotensin Receptor Blocker and that too a small dose only. / You may not have any significant problem, but it is not predictable. / The wise option is to take the drug...it should only be stopped on the advice of your Physician...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow-up: Been on losartan. Changing insurance plans. Prescription has lapsed. Can I stop the medication? 11 minutes later
Thank you for the quick response. I should have asked if okay to take Lisinopril 12.5 I have - but had stopped when developed a cough. If only for a week till I can get the Losartan ??

Can I take Lisinopril 12.5 that I have that is still good- until I get the Losartan ?
I use to take Lisinopril until developed a cough. If I can take for 1-2 weeks until new insurance plan starts?

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 16 minutes later
Hello

Relax...
Take your time - you seem to be in a hurry!?
Lisinopril is marketed in 2.5 / 5 / 10 / 20 mg....How did you get 12.5? / Typing error? - is it 2.5 mg?
The cough sure will come again with Lisinopril ! Monitor your BP / if it goes above 130 - 140 / 80 - 90 take it / 'watchful expectancy and masterly inactivity' is a good option !

All the best

Thank you . So I should relax and wait till I can refill my Losartan ?
But you said not to stop . I don't have any Losartan only Lisinopril - your right 2.5mg.
I could take the Lisinopril - hate to have that cough - might not start in only a week or two?

Your right the Lisinopril is 2.5 mg
So , it is ok to wait not taking anything till I can refill the Losartan ?
You said NO ! And if I take the Lisinopril 2.5 mg for maybe 1 week or 2 could start up the cough again? Wasn't sure if ok - to take what I have on hand the Lisinopril till I get the Losartan - didn't want them to interact wrong?

I looked for the number on my Lisinopril and found out the strength is 12.5mg / 10mg that is what the prescription reads on bottle . So was wrong saying 2.5mg

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi

No interaction will occur…

The best option is to buy the Losartan and take it – till you get your Insurance.

The next option is to watch / monitor the pressure / take a substitute if the pressure goes up – 5 mg of Lisinopril on first day; up to 10 next day if necessary...
Cough will be inevitable...

Follow-up: Been on losartan. Changing insurance plans. Prescription has lapsed. Can I stop the medication? 8 minutes later
Thank you so much for your help .

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 4 minutes later
God Luck
God bless you