Been on celexa. On Trazadone. Have chronic back pain. Can I discontinue tramadol?

Dec 2014

Been on celexa about 6 weeks. First three to five weeks went well. Then depression seemed to be increasing. Dr. Put me on trazadone- only taken two doses. Also taking tramadol for some time. Trying to see why I feel so awful on awaking in am. Achy , headache, depressed. Checked other site for taking celexa with tramadol & was given a very definite no!!plan to stop tramadol & notify physician ASAP. Also would like to ask what might be good to replace tramadol with.,take for chronic back pain.
Thank you for taking time to consider my issue!
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I have read your question and I can understand your problem. You have been taking Celexa or citalopram for about 6 weeks and you have responded for about 5 weeks and then symptoms recurred again. You are also taking tramadol for pain. Now due to drug interactions you have developed side effects. It is really not advisable to take tramadol and celexa together because of risk of serious serotonin syndrome. You have been recently given Trazodon and this drug also work by increasing serotonin and other neurotransmitters. So there will be risk of side effects with trazodon also.

Then what can be done? Best thing to replace tramadol with some other pain medicine. Tramadol is a opioid analgesic and the drug should be tapered gradually and it can be replaced with some non-narcotic analgesic. Medicines like Aceclofenac can be taken. The drug dont have any serious interaction with celexa. Other drugs like Flupirtine can be taken along with Aceclofenac which will also help to increase the analgesic effect.

If you are not responding to your present anti-depressants then you can discuss with your psychiatrist for drugs like Duloxetine. This is a SNRI drug and is a good anti-depressant and anti-anxiety drug, it is a very useful drug in pain conditions.

Hope this helps you, if you have more queries you can ask again.