Been on Escitalopram. Stopped suddenly and again started taking them. Feel like crying and get brain zaps. Side effects?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have been on Escitalopram for 3 months . I started taking the tablets gradually and I stopped taking them suddenly . I started the tablets 22 of May and I stooped them on 20th of August. I feel very strange the last few days. I feel weak , I feel like I get "brain zaps" and I feel like crying. Is it possible its side effect from stopping the tablets suddenly . And what shall I do to make myself feel better? How long the discomfort will last?
Thank you
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it seems to be withdrawal syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
it definitely sounds like discontinuation syndrome which is typical for escitalopram withdrawals especially after using it for more than 2 months. you have typical symptoms of it. So it is always advisable to reduce dosage gradually and last 2 weeks should 5mg(half a tablet) be taken daily before it is completely stopped. Fortunately these symptoms are not harmful and it will subside within 2 weeks without any treatment. Of course it is unpleasant. So if you can be patient I don't think that treatment is necessary. If you have severe symptoms or it persist for more than 10-14 days then you should consider restarting lexapro and decrease dosage gradually in consultation with your doctor. Secondly, benzodiazepines can be helpful for some of your symptoms too. But as I said,try to go through this without medicines first and you can expect improvement in one week. wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: Been on Escitalopram. Stopped suddenly and again started taking them. Feel like crying and get brain zaps. Side effects? 46 minutes later
Thank you very much for your answer. you were very helpful. Thank you again
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome. i am here to help you. It is good from you that you use medicine as less as you can but discontinuing should be always gradual.
Also, for mild temporary panic attacks maybe some less potent benzodiazepine would be more appropriate. Escitalopram is powerful drug for severe anxiety conditions and depression so take it only when there is clear indication. you are young and healthy and I am sure you will feel better soon. Also,avoid noisy places,stress and try to rest in dark room as much as you can till symptoms subside.
Wish you good health. Regards and dont forget review.