Been off sprintec. Difficulty conceiving. Had cramps before period. Does that suggest something?

I have been off of birth control for about 2 1/2 yrs now. Why is it so difficult for me to conceive? The birth control I was taking was sprintec. I'm not sure of the dosage but I was on it for about 1 1/2 yrs. When me and my fiance knew we wanted a child I stopped taking them right a way. But we have been trying and trying and nothing. My cycle is 28 days apart give or take a day or two and usually nothing more until last month. I was a full week late but it proceeded with its normal blood flow lasting 7 days as always. But strangely I was having slight cramps the week before and once it started. I usually have cramps jus a few days before up until I actually start bleeding. My cramps normally last up into the third or forth day of my cycle.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 42 minutes later
Taking sprintec for birth control does not have any long term effects on the fertility.
Since you have stopped taking birth control pill for 2 1/2 years, you should not have difficulty in conceiving. Regular cycles of 28 days duration with normal bleeding for 7 days goes in favor of ovulatory cycles.
Delay in periods for one week only once is not worrisome as this can sometimes happen due to stress and anxiety.
For conception, try having intercourse every month around your ovulation days day 9 to day 16 (counting the day your periods start as day1) as it is the best time for conceiving. Ovulation is the release of a single, mature egg from a follicle that developed in the ovary.

After intercourse, do not wash immediately and keep on lying for some time. You can also keep a pillow under your buttocks so that semen does not come out.

If still you are unable to conceive, then other causes of primary infertility should be explored. Common causes of infertility in female are Endometriosis, ovulation problem, pelvic inflammatory disease, poor egg quality, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, damaged or blocked fallopian tubes etc.

In male reason for infertility are related to sperm (azoospermia, oligospermia), problem with sperm delivery, due to sexual dysfunction, and an obstruction etc. Hence complete work up has to be done with you and your husband to know the underlying cause for which you should consult a fertility expert.

Eat a diet that includes whole, unprocessed foods. The best foods for health in general, and also for sperm count problems, are whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seed. Avoid alcohol, smoking, take more of proteins and fresh vegetables. Minerals like zinc & selenium, amino acids like l-carnitine, and antioxidants like Vitamin C and Vitamin E are also very crucial to sperm health.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Been off sprintec. Difficulty conceiving. Had cramps before period. Does that suggest something? 1 hour later
Are there any kind of vitamins (such as prenatal or folic acid) that I can take to improve my chances or make me a bit more fertile? Or something over the counter that may help? And would you suggest ovulation tests? I was actually thinking of trying a medication called fertilaid. I'm not sure if you are familiar with that but would you consider looking into it?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
Taking prenatal vitamin supplements help in improving the quality of eggs or sperms produced to some extent only. These do not enhance the chances of getting pregnant by a considerable percentage.
You can take folic acid supplements 5 mg daily to avoid neural tube defects in the fetus in case you conceive. It does not enhance the fertility.
Going for ovulation test kits will be helpful in determining the time of ovulation and it increases the chances of your getting pregnant considerably. You can use the test kits available over the counter which predict the LH surge.
You can take fertilaid for an overall well being and to enhance the quality of your eggs.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.