Been infected by chicken pox . Advised to take Zovirax and clamine lotion. Severe pain when trying to swallow. Common?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a 33 year old female. Me and my 3 year old daughter have been infected by chicken pox since the last 3 days. I have been advised to take Zovirax 800mg five times a day and some clamine lotion for application. I have severe pain when I try to swallow something. Is it a common symptom or do I need to consult a doctor?
Posted Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Pain in the throat while swallowing is a common symptom during chicken pox.
It indicates the affection of pharynx by the virus.
Usually such viral infections resolve spontaneously in 3-5 days time. If they worsen, you need appropriate antibiotics.

I suggest the following treatment options currently:
1) For pain relief, anti-inflammatory, fever reducing medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) will help you.
2) For sore throat relief you can have salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids. Gargling with warm water mixed with dissolvable aspirin can give additional benefits.
3) Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Sour Substances.
4) Consume plenty of water and good fruits and vegetables.

Antibiotics - broad spectrum are a must if you worsen - develop high grade fever, severe pain while swallowing and so on. So seek prompt medical help as and when required. Proper antibiotic therapy will help you in faster recovery.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.