Been having throat spasms, very painful. What can be done?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have been having throat spasms for three months now. Is there anything that can be done for me? It is very painful.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later
As I believe that more information can help a physician help a patient better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a.     When was the esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) performed?
b.     DO you have any other symptoms apart from the spasms?
c.     What is your job profile?
d.     Can you please give us a few details of your typical dietary pattern?
e.     Do you consume alcohol? If yes, how much and how frequently?
f.     Do you smoke? If yes, how long have you been smoking and how many cigarettes do you usually smoke in a day?
g.     Why were you prescribed with chlordiazepoxide and clidinium? What are the doses that you are taking and how long have you been receiving them?
Awaiting your reply
Follow-up: Been having throat spasms, very painful. What can be done? 10 hours later
The EGD was performed in December. No other symptoms apart from the spasm. I'm currently not working. I have a good diet. I do not consume alcohol, and I do not smoke. The meds were prescribed for the spasms. The dosage is not listed on the bottle.

Thank you!

Thanks for posting your query

With most of the conditions being ruled out I would suggest ;

Occasionally we have seen patients complaining of symptoms related to discomfort in throat and nausea with chlordiazepoxide

Why don't you give a trial by stopping them and observing if the symptoms go away

I would recommend you take bland diet [Non Spicy and non fermented]

If you are under any stress, manage it with meditation or an anxiolytic medication, that will also help relive spasms

In case there in any further development do revert back, am always available for a followup

Get well soon