Been getting swollen lip and hives. On too much advil and diovan. What can be done or substituted?

ENT Specialist
I have been getting swollen Lip and hives since Feb. I went to allergist and he said it waws taking to much advil and blood prsure medication Diovan. I stopped advil but still take diovan with atenolol pravastatin. Hives and itching getting more frequent and lip swelling happened two more times.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 11 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. All the medications mentioned by you: Advil, Diovan, Atenolol and Pravastatin may cause the swollen lip, hives and itching. Advil is unlikely to cause these symptoms many days after discontinuation.

2. The only way to figure out which of these medications may be responsible is by omitting and later replacing them one by one.

3. Sometimes, sensitization to common coloring agents, binders, dispersants, preservatives and other contents of tablets and capsules may be the cause.

4. There is always the possibility of an acute allergy to other foodstuff. You may also start anti-allergic medication and steroids under medical supervision.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.