Been experiencing twitch by my left tear duct, jaw and mouth. Pain under arm and left breast. Heart attack?

I have been experiencing a weird twitch by my left tear duct for a few days and now my jaw and mouth are twitching. I was typing at my computer and suddenly I felt a pain under my left arm and around my left breast. I'm freaking out that I may be having a heart attack --- I am female, just turned 55 on Friday... Laura Brugnoni
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what you are experiencing.

I have to say that I am most suspicious that the symptoms you are experiencing are related to a mild degree of stress or anxiety. Very commonly with a moderate or severe degree of stress there are certain symptoms which can occur including twitching of the year's or the eyes.

The symptoms you're having in your chest are also somewhat commonly associated with stress. I would be more concerned if the symptoms related to your chest were associated with exertion and if you had some associated degree of nausea or sweating. Regarding this I would keep a close eye on how you're feeling. I would also see if the symptoms worsen in severity or if these associated symptoms develop. If you are seeing some progression in the nature of the symptoms related to your chest I would advise that you touch base with your heart attack at this point. However, we do not want to completely ignore this. It is possible that a stress test might give us a little more information and help us completely rule this out.

My recommendations to you would be to focus on relaxation and getting some extra rest over the next couple of days. If your symptoms progress as I have mentioned earlier I think you should touch base with your primary care physician.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert