Been diagnosed with PCOS in both ovaries. Overweight and stressed. Why can't I reduce weight?

Hi......I have been diagnosed with PCOS in both the ovaries. I am very much stressed and dont know what to do. I am overweight and have been trying to loose weight since long. I am able to maintain the weight but reduction did'nt happen. Please suggest
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 4 hours later

I would like to know your marital status and obstetric history and a bit more details.

Proper investigations are required for PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) like hormonal tests , FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone), LH (Luteinizing hormone), Prolactin , testosterone free and total, insulin resistance and TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) levels.

Do you have excessive hair growth?

For PCOS metformin is given to regulate the cycle but it should be taken under doctor's guidance and prescription.

Lifestyle modification is very important.

You should avoid junk food, cut down on sugar and extra salt as well as oil.

Exercise, yoga and lot of activity is required.

Sedentary lifestyle and extra calories should be avoided.

Awaiting your response.

Best wishes