Been diagnosed as vivax malaria. Advised for areether and lariago. Best one?

Question
My case has been diagnosed as p. vivax malaria.One doctor (MBBS)has advised Inj. Arteether od for 3 days while the other doctor ( MBBS, MD) has advised Inj. Lariago bd for 3 days. Which prescription would be best for me ?
If advised Lariago, which form would be better in tablets or in Injection ? What would be the dosage regimen ?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 37 minutes later
Hi,XXXXXXX

I can appreciate your concern as two doctors have suggested different treatment approaches.

Vivax is a very common form of malaria. There is no need to worry about this.

In fact both the doctors are right.

Normally in the treatment of uncomplicated malaria larigo is the first choice. In the absence of vomiting or other problems in which you can not take tablets, injections are not required. Tablets are as effective as injections.

Injections are only required in case you have stomach upset, tendency for vomiting etc.

Arteether is used in case of resistant or complicated malaria when the parasite is not sensitive to the drug larigo, means the drug in not effective. This depends upon the disease pattern in your area and your doctor is the best judge depending upon the area which drug to be used. Now a days every where the drug larigo is becoming less effective and parasite are not responding to it. And apart from this there are chances of relapse in case of vivax malaria, means it can happen again.

Both drugs are fine and competent.

Now a days W.H.O.(world health organization) also recommends use of combination drugs in the treatment of resistant malaria. Discuss with your doctor with the options that you have. Even oral preparation of this artemether+lumefentarine is also available and is very effective. This helps in prevention relapse and safety profile is also good.

Regarding dosage of drugs it depends upon your body weight and your doctor is the only person who can guide you on this after examination.

Apart from drugs please take plenty of fluids orally, take proper rest and good food to recover fast.

I hope this helps you to take an informed decision.

I will be glad to reply any follow up query that you have.

In case you do not have any further query, please accept the answer.

Wishing you best of health.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Been diagnosed as vivax malaria. Advised for areether and lariago. Best one? 23 minutes later
My weight is 90 kg. Can Arteether be prescribed in vivax malaria ? I took an Injection of Arteether yesterday but today when I came to know through internet that Arteether is prescribed in falciparum malaria while my case was of vivax malaria I consumed first dose of lariago tablet 600 mg and avoided the injection of Arteether. What should I do ?

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 6 minutes later

Good hear from you again so soon.

Please do not take anything on your own.

Yes,you are right that Arteether is the first line drug for use in case of falciparum malaria,but it can not also be used in any resistant or severe form of malaria.

Please do not leave the treatment half way in between.

Please continue taking injections once started and remain in touch with your doctor.

Also follow the other advise given for faster recovery.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Been diagnosed as vivax malaria. Advised for areether and lariago. Best one? 41 minutes later
Sir,
Please once again confirm your following statement :
"Yes,you are right that Arteether is the first line drug for use in case of falciparum malaria,but it can not also be used in any resistant or severe form of malaria."
The word "not" is confusing me. It seems the word "not" has been used inadvertantly.
I live in a hilly rural area and the nearest doctors are 130 Km away in the tahasil and the journey is very difficult.
As I have mentioned that I took an Injection of Arteether yesterday but today I consumed first dose of lariago tablet 600 mg and avoided the injection of Arteether.
Now I am in a dilemma which one to continue.
Will there be any harm I take 2nd injection today although first dose of lariago tablet 600 mg has been consumed today.

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 18 minutes later

Sorry for the confusion.

The correct statement is

"Yes,you are right that Arteether is the first line drug for use in case of falciparum malaria,but it can also be used in any resistant or severe form of vivax malaria."

Means it can be used.

Ideally you should continue with injections now and complete the course as advised.

In case you have difficulty in transportation and you are not willing to travel than you complete the course of larigo for 3 days.I am sorry but this is a prescription drug so can not guide you with the complete dosage.

Sorry once again for the confusion.

regards,

Dr.Pragnesh