Bee sting,numb face and lips,hydrocortisone cream,shortness of breath,ankle pain

General Surgeon
Hi, I was stung by a bee at 12:00pm, about 11 hours ago and I have had no relief in the initial amount of pain. My face and lips are numb. I took out the stinger, but it was in my ankle for about 3-4 minutes. I applied hydrocortisone cream, iced it, took a pain reliever and a bendryl. Initially, I had shortness of breath, but figured that was because of the adrenaline rush following the sting. I only have difficulty now dealing with the pain in my ankle. I have had to continuously apply ice for any pain relief for the last 11 hours. I have never been stung before and I am 29. Will it only get better from here or do I need to see a doc? What can/ will they do?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 45 minutes later

Bee sting causes local as well general reaction in the human body.

Bee stings can be quite painful, and are therefore a source of trouble for many people.

Body's reaction to a bee sting differs significantly from person to person .

In some people who are allergic to bee stings, a sting can cause a XXXXXXX anaphylactic reaction that is potentially XXXXXXX .

The first step in treatment after a bee sting is removal of the stinger ,which you have rightly done at the earliest.

Amount of venom delivered does not differ if the sting is pinched or scraped off and but a delay leads to more venom being injected.

After stinger is removed, pain and swelling should be reduced with a cold compression and analgesic .

The sting may be painful for a few hours or more ,generally pain subsides after analgesic and cold compression.

Swelling and itching do persist for a week in some people.

The area should not be scratched as it will only increase the itching and swelling.

As there is no response even to analgesic and local application of hydro cortisone cream and cold sponging for the last 11 hours or more .Your face and lips are also numb. So opinion of doctor is advisable.

Depending upon your sign & symptoms doctor will give injectable analgesic ,anti histaminic or steroids.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”