Bee sting, small node in the lower part of the neck, total palette count normal

I could not classify this any better, therefore I selected the lymphoma which I am afraid of. However, I decided to contact you due to travelling and being out of contact with my family doctor.
On saturday I got a bee sting (back of the head) and did not pay much more attention to this. On Sunday evening however I felt a small node in the lower part of the neck (on the same side of the bee sting) and reading the internet this would be not a good sign.

I did a blood test and the total palette was ok with monocytes just on the upper edge.
Should I be prepared for the worst?

Looking forward to your soon reply,
Kaido Ojaperv
Posted Thu, 10 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 47 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

From the history you have given, it seems that you have developed a inflammatory lymph node enlargement as a result of the bee sting.

Lymph node enlargement is a very common sign and can cause many people to get stressed and ‎lose their sleep. A few major symptoms and danger signs can help you differentiate very common ‎benign conditions from those indicating conditions like cancer and chronic diseases. ‎

Inflammatory lymph nodes are enlarged and present within few hours and are painful on compression and associated with redness and local elevation of temperature.

In case you have symptoms like persistent fever, weight loss, night sweats along with multiple enlarged, painless ‎lymph nodes spread all over the body , it might indicate conditions like lymphoma or cancer.‎

You might benefit by using cold compresses above the enlarged node as well as take ibuprofen 400mg tablets 3 times a day for 3-4 days. this should reduce the inflammation and allow proper healing.

Your condition does not appear to be a lymphoma, since this has occurred within a few hours after the insect bite. The elevation of the monocytes would be a transitory and is nothing to worry about. Once the inflammation settles down the changes will be normalized.

I hope this helps to answer your questions .

Please feel free to forward your questions or doubts if any.

Dr Anvekar.
Follow-up: Bee sting, small node in the lower part of the neck, total palette count normal 19 minutes later
Thank you doctor! What I forgot to mention last time was that the CRV test was normal though. The time between the sting and the discovery of the node was approx 28 hours. Can I still take it easier?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 13 minutes later
Hello Again,

Yes, as I mentioned earlier this is nothing to be worried about.

The node is still due to an inflammatory cause (Such nodes can present within 24-72 hours after the incident) and will subside by the measures I have suggested earlier.

I suppose the CRV test you mentioned is CRP test and not CRV. It is good that it is normal. It suggests that there is not much of an inflammation. You need not worry.

I hope this helps to clear your doubts.

Wishing you a quick recovery.

Dr. Anvekar.