Bedridden. Urine moving towards urinary tract. Remedy?

Jun 2013
I am dealing with a friend who is bedridden, on a foli, who keeps getting utis because her poop does not go backwards but forwards towards the urinary tract. Her guardian and I were discussing what to do to keep the poop out of her vagina and urinary tract. We were thinking of rolling up a sanitary napkin and wedging it in place behind the foli. This friend is in a long term care facility where problem solving isn't at a premium. Is there a trick to this which would help us?
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 10 hours later
Hi there ~

After seeing the picture that is attached it seems like your friend is dealing with ipsilateral facial palsy with contralateral body paralysis a classical syndrome of medial medullary infarction or hemorrhage. I hope this is being taken care of accordingly. (Treatments for hemorrhage and infarction are different, and I therefore do not want to comment on this at this point). However the chronic UTIs may be taken care of by having a catheter inserted for the time being till your friend becomes ambulatory. This way any injury in the area will also heal and the possibility of fistula formation (with the potential of even more recurrent UTIs) will also lessen. I also think that your idea may also work but the idea of having a catheter inserted beats it. Being on antibiotics for UTIs prophylactically and keeping the area clean by repeatedly changing the sanitary napkins will also help in this situation.

I hope and wish the best for your situation. Take care and have a lovely day!