Became dizzy, sweating and passed out with low heat rate. Suggested pace maker. Thoughts?

My mom is in the hospital, she is 90 years old. Saturday evening at church she became dizzy and began to sweat and almost passed out. Her heart rate dropped to 30, she wore a monitor in the hospital for 24 hours and now their saying she needs a pacemaker. I tried to google some information but was unable to find much out. Is there anything you can tell me????
Will the pacemaker give her any kind of pain or discomfort? Should we get more opinions from other doctors??
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
NO pain or discomfort..Think it is a good option

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what your mom suffered from and this low heart rate. My gut feeling is that this would be beneficial or her based on the information you have provided though more about the monitoring would have be a lot more helpful.

A pacemaker is the central command of the heart. It dictates at what rate the heart should beat,. As such, when it fails, the heart has to depend on other systems to take over this command and in extreme cases, they are inefficient. This leads to a slow heart rate. A slow heart rate means less oxygen and nutrients are being delivered to the body tissues including the brain. This lead to dizziness and a feeling of passing out. This is most probably what your mother suffered from. If it persist and causes symptoms, then putting an artificial command center would be the next best option. This is what the doctors are proposing after gathering sufficient information over 24hours.

There is no pain that the client feels or any discomfort as a result of having a pacemaker. The only discomfort may be that related to the procedure of fitting the pacemaker and not as a result of carrying one. Also, it generally last about 5-10years before requiring that the batteries be changed through an even more minor and safer procedure.

From the information you provided relating to her symptoms and the monitoring over 24hours, I think this is justified. However, if you should have any doubts about its veracity and true indication and benefits, then seeking a second opinion with all the monitoring findings would be a great idea.

Please, i am providing this link if you wish to read more about pacemakers. It is from a trusted site. WWW.WWWW.WW
I hope this addresses your query fully. I wish your mom well and feel free to ask me any follow up questions for clarification. I am glad having this opportunity to address your query today and hope you did enjoyed our services.
Thanks once more .
Dr. Ditah, MD