Bathroom water consumption,bowel movement.Infection?

My 18 month old son was drinking from our bathroom toilet. I m afraid he is going to get sick, because my husband recently had a bowel movement. I m wanting to know what I need to do.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 10 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query on Ask a doctor,

Since your young son has already drank from the toilet, the chances that he might have a stomach infection and resultant diarrheal episodes might be high.

But since most probably, the toilet was flushed before the earlier occupant left the toilet, the chances that your son actually drank any fecal contents might be reduced.

But in any case scenario, you might take a few precautions. Keep a watch on your son if he develops any of the signs and symptoms including:-

1. Fever > 102 F
2. Lethargy, reduced activity,
3. Diarrhea containing blood or mucus
4. dehydration
5. Increased restlessness, excessive crying
6. Cramping abdominal pain
7. Breathing difficulty
8. Reduced appetite, persistent Refusal of feeds

In presence of the above signs and symptoms It might be advisible that he be examined by a pediatrician so that he can be treated with antibiotics and supportive medications to help him recover soon.

In addition keeping him properly hydrated with continuing his regular diet and using an oral rehydrating solution to replace lost fluids.
Do not give him pain water as it does not contain enough electrolytes and minerals.
Avoid XXXXXXX juice and other sweet drinks as they can worsen the diarrhea.

I hope this helps

Dr Anvekar.