Barthalonian gland removed. Still having discharge. History of hysterectomy. Any suggestions?

Mar 2013
I had a Barthalonian gland removed on the08th of Oct, 2 days after the op the stitches came out and I had to go back and they re-sowed me without anaesthetic. However it has been 8 days and I still have a discharge ,please note I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago so I am wondering why the discharge from where?. Also how long will it take to stop and can it come back again.
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Generally, a Bartholin's cyst does not require removal, however in post menopausal women, removal is indicated, as the risk of cancer is slightly high.
Please let me know the biopsy report of the removed gland.
Also, the Bartholin's glands are small glands situated on either side of the vaginal orifice, and secrete clear fluid.
After removal, a small potential dead space exists on either sides of the vagina.
This space would be responsible for small amount of serous discharge coming from the wound.
The healing should be complete within 2 weeks, so give it a week more.
As long as the discharge is clear / non foul smelling / not associated with significant amount of pain or blood - do not worry
It is part of the healing process.
Recurrence of Bartholin's cyst is almost 20 % or higher, this is if the entire gland was not removed, and only marsupialization ( removal of the cyst , and folding back of the lining upon itself ) was done.
Please also let me know the type of surgical procedure carried out in your case.
Good luck.
Please feel free to ask any further follow up questions.