Barium swallow picked up after achalasia?. Is it fairly fixable?

My doctor says that from my barium swallow it picked up that i have achalasia? Is it fairly fixable? He said my small bowel was okay and stomach was okay?
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

Achalasia /achalasia cardiae is an esophageal motility disorder involving the smooth muscle layer of the esophagus and the lower esophageal sphincter (LES). Here the XXXXXXX fail to relax completely causing obstruction. The above part of the esophagus where the smooth muscle layer is weak swells like a balloon when food is consumed.

Yes, the condition is fixable but with surgery.

Yes, most of times the condition affects the esophagus alone and the rest part of the gastro intestinal system is good.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.