Banged the top of wrist. Veins looks blew up. Used ice on it. Is this dangerous? What should I do?

Hi, I was running in the house, turned the corner, ran into the china cabinet and banged the top of my wrist on the corner of the china cabinet. It looks like the vein blew up....its about 1 inch round and about 1/4" tall and it hurts. I have gauge wrapped around it and keep putting on ice water. Is this dangerous? What should I do? It is not very painful, but it does hurt, especially if I lift up my arm. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 30 minutes later

The spot caused by trauma on the top of your wrist may be XXXXXXX but it can be told only after some investigations. But the history given by you here does not sound that it is XXXXXXX though you need to go for some investigations.

You need to have the following investigations –

1.     X-ray of the hand including wrist joint to see if there is any fracture or not.

2. The P-time estimation.

If there is no fracture you need not to worry about. Take some analgesics in the form of diclofenac and serratiopeptidase combination if there is pain and apply diclofenac gel there to reduce pain and oedema. If the spot is not much old then you can apply heparin gel locally also to reduce it.

If there is fracture you should consult an orthopaedic surgeon and should undergo his treatment.

If you have further queries on this issue you may consult me.

Wish you good health and quick recovery.

Thank you once again.

Dr. Arnab Maji