Banged head. Had shock waves through spine, finger and elbow. Tried warm water and tylenol for relief. What can be done?

i bang my head hard yesterdy mornin had bad dream it sent shock wave electrics thru my spine to both my hands painful like burning electric r both my finger and elbow are in pain it made it difficult to brush my teeth, drive,etc. i tried warm water and tylenol pain reliefe not working.
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

Bilateral sensory disturbances like burning electric pain is unlikely to be related to head injuries. Head injuries to the thalamus (part of brain) can cause unilateral sensory disturbances.

I feel the head injury was incidental. The shock waves and burning electric pains in upper limbs can be a sign of spinal problems or peripheral neuropathy. A detailed neurological examination of spine and peripheral nerves along with battery of tests - blood counts, ESR, Vitamin B-12 assay and if needed MRI scan of cervical spine can help us identify the causative condition.

I think it is time for you to fix an appointment with neurosurgeon. In the interim vitamin B-12 supplements can benefit you.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.