Ball like multiple swelling on hands. Cause and medication ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hello, i have balls on my hands. When i consult doctor he said it is due to fat stored in that form. It is inherited from heritage and no drugs for that. Is there no development of drugs for this dissease?
Please help
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 14 minutes later
Hi

I have analysed your brief history and reviewed the attached picture. It appears that you might have multiple, possibly sub-cutaneous swellings over the forearm. These multiple fat swellings could be Lipomatosis.

In some cases it is seen in men who drink alcohol as a condition called Benign symmetric lipomatosis when it occurs on both sides of the body. A genetic association is sometimes seen.

Do you have any pain over the swellings?

Any restriction of movement?

As explained above the swellings are more likely to be lipomas or fat collection under the skin. It can be present attached to nerves, muscles as well. If it is attached to nerves, it can be painful.

"There is no medical drugs available for treating lipoma. Surgical removal is the known effective treatment of lipoma.

Usually lipomas are benign harmless tumors of the fat tissue which are slow growing unless they become malignant which is very rare though. They are very common amongst population. It can be seen associated in congenital fashion as in your case or sometimes with trauma (although association with trauma has not been conclusive till date). When there are multiple swellings, usually the lipoma which is very large and/or causing difficulty in performing work is removed. As they do not cause future harm, some doctors prefer not to treat it. Wait and watch is usually the treatment then.

So you have a choice to remove the swelling which is cosmetically disfiguring and/or which is causing impairment in performance of your work. If they are asymptomatic, you may choose not to remove them.

If you wish to remove then, then you need to consult a general surgeon. Lipoma can be removed under local anaesthesia in your case in short period of time by a relatively harmless surgical excision procedure. Recurrence of the lipoma after removal is 1-2%.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Ball like multiple swelling on hands. Cause and medication ? 9 hours later
Thank You very much. I want it to be removed from my hand . Can I know the approximate cost for my surgery . (approxmately 6 tumors). And is there any procedure which makes no cut marks on the skin after surgery?

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 46 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

It is best that you consult with a cosmetic surgeon to find the procedure with least cosmetic damage.

Some cases of lipoma have been removed by endoscopic procedure. Some have been removed by injecting special solution causing lipolysis and no need for surgery as well.

Commonly surgical excision by making an incision and removing the lipoma is done. But since you need cosmetic appeal, you can try other methods after discussing with a cosmetic surgeon.

Cost will depend on the procedure and Hospital or Clinic in which it is performed.