Bald patches on scalp, itchy pimples, flaky scalp, yeast infection in scrotum. Is there fungus in scalp?

Hello Doc's, I am 27 years old mal and have 2 bald patches at the lower back of my scalp measuring about 3cm by 1/2 cm, there are also some tiny bald area around the baldness where some itchy pimples are, the area and the surrounding areas is very itchy, i also have flacky scalp, it appears some hairs have broken off from the bottom, i had yeast infection below my scrotum, i was wondering i might have some fungus in my scalp or something else?
Posted Sat, 9 Jun 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 42 minutes later
Hi dear,

The patchy hair loss you are describing can be tinea capitis, alopecia areata, scarring alopecia, follicullitis decalvans.

Tinea capitis is a fungal infection of the scalp. It is common in childhood but can occur in adults also.It has a broken off hairs around it. It is associated with itchy pimples and pustular lesions.

A KOH mount would be needed to confirm the diagnosis.

Treatment consists of oral and topical antifungals also antifungal shampoo.

If you can upload photographs of the scalp (close up/ distant) can be helpful in great way.
Also I would like to know.

-Do the patches are clear and smooth base or they have some reddish lesions over bald patches.
-Do you have pain in the areas?
- Are the patches growing slowly or as it is remaining of same size?

Please answer the following question and I would be able to help you better.

Anticipating your reply.

Dr Sudarshan