Bald patch due to hair thinning. Burning sensation in scalp, itchiness, dryness. Help

Dec 2013

I have always had very thick hair but within the last two years, my hair has thinned so badly that I can see a bald patch in the front of my head. I am a female with long hair and I have always been very proud of my hair. However, I am finding that I tend to lose an enormous amount of hair every day to the extent that it is making me feel rather depressed at the end of the day. I feel as if sometime my scalp gives me the impression of having a burning sensation and at other times it feels itchy and dry. Help.
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Hello Madam,

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern for the hair fall problem. It is really distressing for anyone and specifically or females to have unusual hair fall and that too at a fast pace.

As per your query you have three problems:
1.     Hair fall problem which according to you are falling very fast.
2.      Along with this, you feel thinning of the hair
3.     Burning, itching and dry sensation over scalp skin.

Before I proceed further I would like to guide you that our hair normally fall every day. We have almost around 0000 hair on our scalp and amongst them around 5% of hair are in falling phase and then another 0.1% (around 100) of hair can fall everyday. The number of normal hair falling varies from few hairs to up to 50-100 per day. This can be modified by certain factors such as :

1.     Genetics ( meaning our familial pattern at that particular age)

2.     Nutritional – meaning our dietary pattern

3.     Personal routine- including our daily schedule, sleep pattern, medications, stress and multiple other problem including our other illnesses.

Now as I can get from your history your hairs are falling at a great pace with thinning and you are on certain medications with irregular sleep pattern. So there are the factors related to the hair fall including:

1.     your age factor: at the age of 62 years our wear and tear process of body are decreased so we have less regeneration of the hair roots

2.     your nutritional status: as per your history I can get that you have growth. So there can be added deficiency of multiple other nutrients which must be fulfilled.

3.     Your personal routine: as per your routine you have less of sleep and you are on multiple other medications too. The stress part of hair fall itself may be so high to cause further hair fall which can be related to this stress.

4.     Along with all the above factors there is also burning, itching and dry sensation over scalp skin which can indirectly cause hair fall.

Now probably you got some idea regarding your hair fall problem.

The first thing you should do is to kindly reassure yourself. If you are not giving yourself the positive suggestions then the stress of this fall itself can cause lot of problems. For betterment kindly follow the instructions below:

1.     Improvise your personal schedule: Should have day time working hours, no sleep in day time. Try to improve your sleep pattern and time. Must take at least 8 hours sleep.

2.     Stop if any substance abuse is present (alcohol or smoking).

3.     Improve your diet according to your vegetarian or non vegetarian status

4.     Do some work outs or yoga or mediation in daily routine.

5.     Wash your scalp every day if you do not have long hair or alternate day if you have long hair to reduce the sensation of burning or itching on the scalp. Do not comb your hair when these are wet. You can do simple wet towel compresses over the area of itching and burning.

Now at this juncture I would like to guide you further regarding diet. You should know that our hair are basically made up of proteins and supported by certain simple biochemical known as minerals and vitamins. So every of the food item which contains good amount of proteins with vitamins and minerals are best for maintenance and growth of good hair. Along with this the good diet will also help you in reducing the other medications related to pain and vitamin deficiency.

So you can follow the kind of dietary plan below:

1. Eat at least 3-4 fruits per day. Every fruit is good but you can make a combination of sour with sweet fruits such as oranges, papaya and other of seasonal fruits.

2. Pulses are good source of proteins. So everyday have a bowel full of mixed pulses. Add green leafy vegetables additionally in the pulses which contain lot of iron and vitamins in it.

3. Sprouts are the best source of fibers, minerals vitamins and proteins too. So add it at-least alternate day if you can not make in everyday's part of meal.
4. Over night soaked and peeled almonds will give you good vitamin E which is good for the hair growth.

5. Milk and milk products should be included in every-day's schedule.

6. If you drink tea or coffee then replace it either with herbal tea or green tea.

7. If you are non-vegetarian then there are plenty of options available for good proteins especially in form of fish proteins.

There are certain medications in the form of vitamin B complex – especially “BIOTIN” as the main ingredient along with certain medications to apply on scalp which you can take according to your dermatologist advice.

Follow the above plan for at-least 3 months minimally because hairs grow at a gradual pace. At the very beginning you may not see the results but so you need to have patience to see result by all the above measures.
Hope this information helps you. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health"

MD (Dermatology)