Ask a Dentist   »  

Bad taste in the mouth, burning sensation in the throat. History of hiatus hernia. Chances of tooth decay?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
hello, my question is about my mouth and teeth.

Sometimes I have a really bad taste in my mouth when I wake up in the morning, and I test my saliva with ph-paper and sometimes it is around ph 6.0 - 6.5. When I test it a few hours later it's 7.0 or normal again.
Sometimes I have problem with hital hernia, and have burning sensation in my throat, but my ph in my mouth is still 7.0.

Can you tell me, if this ph or bad taste is XXXXXXX and will this acid hurt my teeth ?
it's really my teeth Im worried about here.

sincerely XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Such variation in ph in the oral cavity is normal. Oral Ph below 5.6 can contribute to the tooth decay.

To avoid bad taste, brush as soon as you wake up, start brushing after every meal. If not, at least immediately after break-fast and last meal of the day.

It is the food particles which stuck in between teeth and ferment to give bad odor along with sulfur releasing microorganisms. Clean your tongue once daily and floss regularly. Avoid food that can aggravate acid reflux such as onion, coffee, peppermint, chocolate and XXXXXXX fry.

Burning sensation in the mouth could be because of acidity also. It is ideal to consult a physician for appropriate acid reducing medication.

Hope this clarifies your concern. If you have any further queries I can assist you further. Kindly accept the answer if no follow up.