Bad taste in the mouth, burning sensation, fluttering in stomach. GERD symptoms ?

Question
I have no idea what this means.....And I have no idea what it is related to for sure.....SO I just selected something.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in GERD

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for visiting this website.

Though I find no details about the query. I could figure out from the category that you are looking something about peptic ulcer. Let me write about it. After reading this if you have any specific questions, please let me know I am available for your follow ups.

Peptic ulcers are ulcers of the gastrointestinal tract. Most of them are caused by the bacterium H. Pylori and some are worsened by drugs such as aspirin, Plavix (clopidogrel), ibuprofen, and other NSAIDs. They can affect the esophagus, stomach, duodenum or meckel’s diverticulum and cause abdominal pain, bloating, fullness, nausea, heartburns, acidity and vomitings.

It can cause perforation, bleeding into the abdomen and swelling due to ulcers causes narrowing in the duodenum and gastric outlet obstruction. Upper GI endoscopy is the commonest investigation and detection of H.Pylori is made by urea breath test, measurement of antibody levels in blood and detection of urease activity in a biopsy specimen by rapid urease test.

For peptic ulcers, try raising the head side of your bed by about four inches with blocks. This also might help, avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you go to bed. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods. Treatment of choice is by antacids, H2 blockers and PPI inhibitors like Omeprazole and Rabeprazole. Perforated peptic ulcers need surgical intervention.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Bad taste in the mouth, burning sensation, fluttering in stomach. GERD symptoms ? 1 hour later
I was afraid that happened. I had written my question but did it first so it didn't go....Sorry about that.

I was saying that I have a bad taste in my mouth but it's not metalic , just different as well as a taste and feel of menthol. Sometimes it feels like its burnng. This has been going on for around 2 weeks now. Has not affected my taste or smell. Also I've been having a lot of fluttering high up in the stomach and sometimes the throat area as well. I do have stomach ulcers so not sure if that can have anything to do with this or not.

I've also had a fair amount of stress the last couple of months but it's stress becasue of a good change in my life, but a change that requires a lot of work.
Follow-up: Bad taste in the mouth, burning sensation, fluttering in stomach. GERD symptoms ? 7 hours later
Still no answer to my original question???

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Bad taste in mouth is called dysguesia. It can be due to dental caries, gastro-esophageal reflux disease, sinusitis causing post nasal drip, salivary glands infection, pharyngitis or strep infection, medications like antibiotics, vitamins and antidepressants, poor oral hygiene, copper or lead toxicity and Sjogren’s syndrome.

But in your case from the other symptoms of burning sensation, fluttering in the stomach and the history of stomach ulcers and stress, most likely offending agent is gastroesophageal reflux disease.

Follow the treatment tips that i have mentioned in my previous post and you will feel improvement in symptoms. Apart from that, every time you brush your teeth, make sure to brush your tongue also. It will help in lessening the metallic taste. You can use some oral mouthwashes and take some vit C tablets also.

Increase the protein content in your diet instead of carbohydrates and fats. An advice from a dietician will be helpful. Also start moderate exercises on a daily basis. Start with walking and then you can shift to jogging and cardios.

Regards.