Bad taste in the mouth. MRI showing small pulp in the nasal passage. Permanent cure?

ENT Specialist
ive had a bad taste in my mouth and also my hand smell like sour cream all the time Ive been to the dr. did sinse test did a mri have a small pulp in nasal passage was on two different kinds of antibodice and also 2 rounds for a fungus nothing is helping this is been going on for 2 months now
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The bad taste in the mouth (also known as dysgeusia) could be due to various reasons; the commonest causes are dental caries, gastritis, inflammation of the gums and tongue, accumulation of food material in the tonsils, smoking and certain medications.

Our mouth contains numerous taste buds, which are located on and around the tongue, inner part of the cheeks, on the roof of the mouth, on the lips and even over the back of the throat. The altered sense of taste could be due to damaged taste buds (due to smoking) or vitamin or mineral deficiency (B-12 or zinc), dry mouth (due to decrease in the intake of fluids or because of menopause).

It’s also important to know that, there are nerve endings on the tongue that sense irritating or unpleasant sensations located in the nasal region and hence any nasal pathology (such as sinusitis and allergic rhinitis) can also cause dysgeusia.

A bad taste in the mouth could be a sign of an infection also. You require a thorough evaluation to find out the exact cause of your problem. I would suggest you to consult a good ENT specialist as well as a physician for diagnosing your problems.

Till then, try some home remedies such as eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, eating yogurt may help in restoring the normal bacterial balance in the mouth. Drink plenty of warm water; avoid coffee, smoking and alcohol if any.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon