Bad stomach pain with hard distended stomach. Suggest the treatment?

Hi I have bad stomach pain with hard distended stomach
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Query is vague. More details required

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ma'am, ,

Good Day to you.

I fully appreciate the pain and agony that you are passing through.

Your query is vague. However, from the information provided, the likely problems that come to my mind are : chronic constipation with deranged bowel movements; chronic indigestion; stomach and intestinal infection; or Irritable bowel.

However, I will be able to pinpoint the exact cause of your problem and give you helpful professional advice, if you provide me the following details:-

* Is the stomach problem of recent onset or long-standing?

* Do you have chronic constipation; abdominal cramps; hard stools; passage of blood or mucus from rectum?

* Do you have reduced appetite; acidity; gas in the abdomen; nausea and vomiting; sore mouth/tongue?

* Do you suffer from anxiety/depression, if at all?

Eagerly awaiting further information.

Fond regards and best wishes,

Dr. (Col) R Karanwal
Follow-up: Bad stomach pain with hard distended stomach. Suggest the treatment? 1 hour later
Hi doctor
I suffer from anxiety snd take Ativan at night to help me sleep as well as Endep but do not have constipation. I have had pains for 2 days now and feel unwell and tired. I have cut down my food intake over the last few weeks as I am on a diet I trust this gives you more information I have had IBS before but this feels different as I feel nausea at times
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is a minor problem of gastric upset

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the informative input.

You are suffering from transient intestinal upset, probably due to altered gut flora. This short-term problem is apparently part of the spectrum of pre-existing IBS.

I would advise you to
- continue with long-term treatment- without break-unless advised by your doctor- for IBS;

- reassure yourself that IBS is not a disease, but is precipitated by anxiety, emotional upsets, mental/physical stress. Control of the precipitating factors will keep IBS in remission.

If I were your treating doctor, I would have recommended for your present problem, as well as, long-term treatment of IBS:

* regular anti-acid drug (Pantoprozole); 2-3 days of antispasmodic drug like dicyclomine for relief of abdominal pain; Prokinetic drug like metcclopamide for nausea and normal bowel movements; and regular intake of Probiotics.

* Long-term course of antidepressants belonging to class of either TCAs or SSRIs
to relieve anxiety and depression (if any).

* Regular Stool-bulking agents such as high fibers diet and psyllium husk

* High fiber diet :- since you have been dieting, the intake of fibers has been grossly inadequate. Ensure that your diet contains adequate fluids, fibers, vitamins and minerals.

* Daily yoga and meditation.

You may therefore consult your treating doctor who knows what is best for your and prescribe appropriate treatment.

Hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction. If you have further clarifications, I will be happy to answer.

But, if you have no further questions, please close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you a speedy recovery and good health,

Dr. Karanwal
Follow-up: Bad stomach pain with hard distended stomach. Suggest the treatment? 5 hours later
Thank you doctor it makes sense what you say will talk to mt October again
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for heeding my advice

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome to contact me any time, as and when required, Ms XXXXXXX

If satisfied, you may kindly close the discussion and rate the answer.

I wish you a speedy recovery and Good Health.

Fond Regards,

Dr. Karanwal