Bad smelling sweat. Symptom of serious problem?

Hi: My husband has started to have a very bad smelling sweat all over his body at night in bed it has gotten worse over the past 5 years or so. I am concerned that this might be a symptom of a more serious problem. He is 60 years old, weight around 250 and he is about 5'11''. Thanks for your time.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 38 minutes later

Thank you for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Is he under any kind of stress?
2.) Does he stay in hot environment most of the time?
3.) Is he Diabetic or Hypertensive?
4.) What kind of Job does he do?

Sweating is absolutely normal and it is odorless but sometimes causes an unpleasant smell when it comes into contact with bacteria on the skin.Kindly get him examined by a Urine Work to rule out if he has Overactive thyroid or Low blood sugars which are two main causes for Excessive sweating.

Your treating Doctor will prescribe him a Antiperspirant and a Deodorant to be applied at nights to the areas more prone to sweating like armpits, groins.

In addition to this, let him follow some lifestyle modifications:

1.) Have bath daily.
2.) Avoid tight clothing and wear loose cotton fabric.
3.) He should dry his body head to toe thoroughly after bath.
4.) He should change his sock and shoe daily, ask him to keep different pair of shoes and socks for different days.
5.) Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.
6.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. He should avoid coffee, alcoholic beverages, onions and garlic which have strong odors.
7.) Stick to his treatment plan as directed by his Doctor and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your Query and I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

I Wish him Good Health.

Best Regards,
Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.