Bad odor from the anal region after exercise. Reasons?

If I lift (squat) more than 200 pounds, I immediately get a very noticeable and disturbing smell from my anal region. It resembles sour milk. If I am just outside in the sweating in the heat, there is no unusual smell from the perspiration.
I am a strength and conditioning coach, and if I just get under a bar and squat it up with again more than 200 pounds – the smell immediately appears, and very noticeable, kids start asking “what’s that smell”. Some days I find myself showering 3 or 4 times a day, just to avoid the embarrassment.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

As your symptoms occur only after lifting heavy weight in certain posture (squatting), I would like to consider the following possibilities in order of preference in your case:
•     Loosening of anal sphincter on heavy weight lifting leading to discharge of water from the faeces from the anus.
•     Pus coming out of the local abscess like anal abscess or pilonidal sinus giving rise to bad odour. Some time these abscesses may be painless.

For final diagnosis, local examination by physician and biochemical & microbiological investigation of any localized secretion will help.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.