Bad itching in legs and arms in a child. Is this allergic reaction?

Hello, I have my daughter and she is just 2.3 years she is badly itching in her legs & arms
Posted Sun, 8 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 30 minutes later
Hi Somakant,

Thanks for posting the query and uploading the pictures. I have studied them in detail.

It seems like a newly and freshly emerging allergic reaction.

Please do apply calamine lotion on the affected areas as of now.

You can also give her antihistamine syrup like Cetrizine. However, her pediatrician can give the exact dosage and prescription after examining her.

Keep a watchful eye on the lesions and look into how they progress. If there are any fluid filled vesicles and if the child develops fever, it can be one of the viral exanthematous fevers.

It is advisable to take her to the pediatrician if it does not subside in 2 days time.

Please do write back for clarifications and follow up queries.

Wish your daughter a speedy recovery.