Bad case of gastroenteritis. Diabetic and have severe cramps followed by diarrhea. Will immodium work?

Thank you.I have a nasty case of type 2diabetic. No vomitting. But severe cramps followed by diarrhea for 2days now..started with severe chills..can I take immodium for this will it work I cant seem to eat a thing..thank you
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 16 minutes later

You are having diarrhoea, abdominal pain and chills. All this indicates that you are having infective diarrhoea.

You are a patient of diabetes. In diabetic patients one needs to take extra precautions when dealing with infections.

It is strongly advisable that you visit ER or your physician at the earliest.

Your oral intake is not good, which is also not good. Diarrhoea can lead to loss of fluids in body leading to dehydration and major fluctuations in your blood sugar.

Please keep taking small quantity of liquids
Anti spasmodic for pain
Tylenol for chills and fever

This will help you in mean time.

Please do not take Imodium without consulting doctor.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.

In case you do not have follow up query, please accept the answer.