Bacteria caused heart burn. Diagnosed with H pylori. Bacteria eradicated by antibiotics & omeparazole.When will get rid of heart burns?

General Surgeon
I was diagnosed with H Pylori bacteria, took antibiotics for two weeks, bacteria was eradicated, around this time I started to have severe heartburns. Doctor said that it's because of inflammation caused by the bacteria and prescribed omeprazole (10mg). I'd been taking it for 4 and a half months, then stopped. It's been almost 5 months since H. pylori was eradicated, but I still have the same heartburns. How long does it usually takes to get rid off bacteria-caused heart burn? Why I only started to have those heartburns AFTER bacteria was eradicated?
Thank you
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Besides taking medicine it is helpful to avoid spicy hot foods, hot drinks, and no fasting and take food at regular time.

It will be better not to drink water along with food, but after 1/2 an hour.

The mucosal ulcer by bacteria usually heals by 6 wks of treatment.

If the symptoms persist please discuss with your doctor and get check up for any gastro esophageal reflux that may give rise to heart burn and treated accordingly.

Heartburns may persist even after the bacteria are eradicated due to reflux or the ulcer not yet healed.

Hope you will be all right with treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.