Backpain after cardiomyopathy, urine retention, abdominal pain, diabetes. What can be done?

Spine Surgeon
Question
i am cardiomyopathy case with 20% lvef and have ppm implanted in 2010 and after that i have been suffering from back pain which has become very severe due to gap in l3 & l4. Recently having urine
problem as it does not get empty. The bladder is full but unable to empty it fully. I get pain in the lower abdomen. I have uncontrolled diabetes due to which there is burning in the lower limb. I cannot be operated so was given pain management therapy.
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Osteoporosis

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 1 hour later
Hi...
thank you for sharing your problem.
As you havr PPM we can not take MRI.
CT Scan still possible.
If you are a high risk for surgery then one option other than epidural injection is to implant intra thecal pump through which pain medicine can be delivered to spine. You need to discuss this with your pain division consultant and cardiologist
thank you

Follow-up: Backpain after cardiomyopathy, urine retention, abdominal pain, diabetes. What can be done? 44 minutes later
ACTUALLY I AM NOT HAPPY WITH THIS ANSWER AS I AM ALREADY AWARE OF HIGH RISK ISSUE FOR WHICH SURGERY IS NOT POSSIBLE AND MRI ALSO DUE TO PPM. SINCE HE HAS SEVERE PAIN TO SIT AND STAND, I WISHED TO KNOW IF THERE IS ANY MODERN TECHNOLOGY AND WHICH DOCTOR WOULD YOU RECOMMEND. SINCE HE HAS DEVELOPED DIFFICULTY IN PASSING URINE I HAD REFERRED FOR NEPHOROGY'S OPINION AS HE HAS PROSTATE GLAND ALSO. I THOUGHT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PRESCRIBE SOME MEDICINES ETC. I DID NOT FIND ANY NEW REPLY TO MY PROBLEM.

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 2 hours later
Hi...
Sorry to hear about that..
I did mention about the modern treatment which is implantation of a pump called intrathecal pump which is a minimally invasive procedure done at most centres by the pain and palliative division.
Please note; I do not prescribe medicine online to any of the queries.
Easy way out regarding urine problem is to put urinary catheter and this would definitely help him a lot..
thank you