Backache, headache, fever, rashes on thigh, elbow, underarm, blood test done

Recent Blood Work
I am a 48 year old, 5'2", 230 lb. female that recently had blood work done in order to determine why I was having lower backache, headaches, low grade fever and rash on upper thigh, area behind elbows, front area of underarm and soft area between pointing finger and thumb. All rash areas were on both right and left side except for thumb area (only on right hand). All blood work was relatively normal except for my AST of 44 and ALT of 81, as well as, Glucose,Serum of 111. I am a wine drinker that will typically consume anywhere between 3 to 4 bottles per month. Carbonated drinks are consumed very rarely, averaging 2 a month. Rashes have now ceased and are gone, as well as, headaches and low grade fever. Lower back is still sensitive, at times, and energy level still low. Are my levels high enough to be extremely concerned and should I abstain completely from wine?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 7 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

Alcoholic liver injury is always associated with mild to moderate increase in SGOT (Serum Glutamic Oxaloacetic Transaminase) and SGPT (Serum Glutamic Pyruvate Transaminase) and their levels do not normally reflect the severity of liver injury. The severity is reflected by the bilirubin levels and the prothrombin time. Women are more prone to alcohol induced liver injury and I would advise you to abstain from it.

Rash in the area that you described along with backache can also be secondary to -

1) Celiac disease with dermatitis herpetiformis - this can also be associated with elevated liver enzymes.
2) Psoriasis - which is worsened by alcohol.
Hence consult a Dermatologist and a Gastroenterologist to rule these out.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.