Back was hurt and taking pain killers. Could I take Robaxact or advil for fatty liver disease?

Dec 2012

I hurt my back last Thursday and don't know what to do about pain killers. Can someone with fatty liver take Robaxact or advil?
Im wondering, now that flu season is coming, what do people with fatty liver do when they get a fever?
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
you can take advil (ibuprofen)

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

If you are worried about any of the above medications causing significant damage to your liver (given your fatty liver diseases), then I must say you are mistaken and the medications are safe for liver conditions but a drug such as ibuprofen could lead to GI ulcers if taken for long or in large quantities.
During the flu season, you could take ibuprofen for the fever and antihistamines for the cold. Medications to avoid are paracetamol or acetaminophen which can cause significant liver damage given that they are metabolize directly by the liver its toxicity could be damaging. Having a cold with a fatty liver diseases should not be much of a hassle, as you may take same medications as people without fatty liver except for paracetamol/acetaminophen (which you may also take in moderate dosage and duration).

Hope this helps and if you got any further questions, please feel free to write back.
Dr. Nsah