Back surgery done. Now fingertip are sensitive and numb. Should I consult a neurosurgeon?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
fingertip numbnessI'm 23 and recently had emergency back surgery for crushed vertabre that flew into my nerves. about two weeks ago my fingertips started to get really sensitive. then turned into almost numb. it feels like I have timberland wrapped around them and they turned almost a brown tint. not really sure if I should be concerned and if I should see my nurosurgen or what specific doctor
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 31 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
Information that I would like to know is: when was surgical procedure performed? And what level of spine was injured? Are both hands affected? Depending on it I ll be able to tell are your symptoms caused by your accident, surgery or something else.
Such symptoms arent something usual, but these sensations might be temporary effect of surgery because after every surgical procedure oedema occur and it compress nerves roots around vertebras. When oedema pull back,symptoms should dissapear. If I am right this is nothing serious,but you must be sure that this isnt caused by decreased vascular supply so if you notice paleness, lack of pulses, inability to move fingers or intensive pain you should visit vascular specialist. If your numbness persists or progress you should visit neurologist or nerursurgeon definitely.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help