Back spasms, not getting larger, not hurting, may be oblique muscle tear.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i was lifting a heavy weight about two weeks ago,,and i felt something pop in my back,,ive had buldging discs before and had to tough it out and eventuall they got better,,,this was the same ,,,spasms in back,,,but this time last week i have a a buldge,,not discolored,below my right fib cage,,about where the so call "love handles" are on a man on the right side, it is not getting larger and is not hurting,,,my local chirpracter seems to think i may have torn an oblique muscle,,,,he hasnt done an ex-ray,,,and like i said no pain other than persistant on and off muscular tensing
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
From your description it seems you have got your muscle pulled with a small bleeding inside causing a hematoma formation.
A direct examination and investigations like MRI scan are the best to find out the extent of soft tissue injuries do take 2-4 weeks for healing if adequate rest is provided to the affected muscles.
Doing a hot fomentation and taking mild pain killers like ibuprofen will help you. For intermittent muscle tensing, you can get an appropriate muscle relaxant prescribed from your doctor.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.