Back pain,fever,loss of appetite,sleeplessness,aching elbow

I am suffering with Back Pain at the start of my spine cord just below my neck and every evening getting fever of 102 and for last one week, started loosing my appetite at great speed, yesterday night there was no sleep as my right elbow was aching heavily which was fractured 20 years back, i travel daily 20+20 kms to my home and office in passion bike. does this makes the problem big? is this spondilytis?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 28 minutes later

From the description provided it seems that you may be having a infection, which could be due to viral causes. Body pain, back pain, high fevers, loss of appetite, and fatigue are classic features of viral infections.

Travelling long distances on a bike will cause too much of stress and can predispose to viral infections as well as body strain. This could very well be the reason for your illness. But the pain in the back and neck , does not mean that it could be spondylitis. Mostly such pain arise in relation to viral infections and persist for a few days, before completely subsiding on their own. They do not result in any long term sequelae.

For a few days, I would suggest you to try conservative measures.

Take adequate rest, drink enough fluids to maintain proper hydration.

Medications like Cetrizine to control the allergy symptoms will be helpful. Pain killers like Crocin or Ibuprofen taken 3 times a day, will ‎reduce any body aches and back pain.

In case, you develop, any headache, persistent high fever, purulent (yellow greenish) expectoration, coughing you ‎might consult a doctor who can examine you and perform a few blood tests and rule out any bacterial infections and if present, treat them with ‎a course of antibiotics for a few days. ‎

Presence of issues like urinary difficulty, inability to walk, severe back spasms, seizures, etc should prompt you to seek a doctors help so that imaging studies like a MRI can be done.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

You might consult me further if you have any further doubts.

Dr Anvekar.