Back pain, taking Tegretol. Have blood pressure, diabetes and neuralgia

Diabetic, Blood Pressure, Neuralgia. i was diagnosed with Neuralgia after three months with serveral docs trying to diagnose me finally on Monday i was diagnosed. My Doc put me on tegretol he told me it should start working in a few hours it did but the next day the pains returned. i have pain nerve in my upper back and burning. this is 24, 7 pain and burning. The tegretol doc said i should be getting relieve in two to three weeks but mean while i am in severe pain and burning. I have been given several pain meds but no help. Is there anything i can take to stop the pain and burning while i am waiting for the tegretol to kick in. Please i am in severe pain and burning its been a nightmare and no sleeping.
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

Tegretal and other class of antidepressant drugs have soothening effects on the nerves; thus reducing pain and burning sensation. However as your doctor suggested they can take a while (average 2-3 weeks) to produce significant results.

During this time if the response is not adequate we can increase the doses (maximum tegretal dose would be 1200mg day) if you are tolerating it well or add another drug to it to relieve the symptoms. The drugs can then be titrated according to your needs.

In addition vitamin B12 supplements can be tried for additional benefits.

Discuss with your doctor since I do not feel any over the counter pain killers can soothen this neuralgic pain. I also hope your doctor's have ruled out shingles (if the pain is unilateral).

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have need additional information.
If you do not have any follow ups, please close this discussion.

Get well soon!!

Dr. Prasad